October 8, 2009

Posted by Rie On 6:49 PM
It's been a long time since I last updated my blog so here I am. Sitting at my parent's table, enjoying my vacation on the island - feels good! It's Thursday today and I've been here in Canada since Saturday evening and have enjoyed every minute of it. Well, the journey over here really knocked me out for a couple of days but now I'm over the jet-lag and am feeling very relaxed.

The trip itself was long and pretty much uneventful. Dorte drove me to the airport in Billund and after a early morning coffee, I got stuck in security and was almost late for my flight. Holy heart attack - I thought for a couple of minutes that I was in serious trouble! But I made it and was able to calm my nerves down on the flight down to Frankfurt. Huge airport but I was lucky - the transfer was easy and I just had to walk a million miles from one end of the terminal to the other end. I flew from Frankfurt to Toronto and almost again screwed myself over. When I checked in my baggage in Billund, the guy said that I didn't have to think about it again until Victoria.... so that means I went through customs without even thinking about picking up my stuff. Not until a nice lady at the connecting flight gate area said that nope, all baggage coming from an international flight but connecting to a domestic flight had to be claimed.... which meant that I had to find a nice man who would backtrack with me through customs and find my suitcase. But that also meant that I had to automatically get checked at customs and the guy had to check EVERYTHING in my suitcase...

Anyways, after that little experience, I hung around in the tax-free area for a couple of hours and then hopped on a plane for the last leg of my journey. The last couple of hours were long and I was starting to get misreable. My back hurt, I wanted to see my parents, I was hungry, I wanted to smoke and I wanted to sleep. The last hour just couldn't go fast enough! I booted ass through Victoria airport/customs and walked into the arrival area with a happy stupid grin on my face, excited to give mom and dad a huge hug.... they weren't there. I was 40 mins early. Hmrf. Luckily I know the airport and it's not all that big so when they did come, I was ready to go home (my home here on the island.)

We quickly got something to eat - I was hungry for real food - and then I could finally just plop down on their couch and relax.... 3 minutes later, I fell asleep. I totally conked out. I think I probably snored. So, the trip was long but the end result was wonderful. I could finally give my parents a real hug, cuddle with the puppies and just relax.

Sunday was a quiet day. A morning walk with mom and the puppies down to dad's boat. The weather has been amazing since I landed and I couldn't have asked for more sunshine! We all went for a bike ride into town and did some grocery shopping. Basically a nice, quiet - "hygge" day with my parents. A great dinner and then again, I conked out on the couch in the evening. Woke up to a Glenda phonecall and then things were normal - me on the phone for hours, sitting outside with a coffee and smokes. Some things never change!

Dad and I spent the day together on Monday - running errands and drove out to Sooke to check out our old house. It looks the same. Lunch in Sooke and then more errands before coming back home to take the dogs for a walk. Again - massive amounts of sunshine! I spent the day on Tuesday with mom and we walked downtown and did a bit of fun shopping. Poked around Chinatown and that area, checking out goofy stores and having a good time. Lunch at the Noodle box - amazing yummy food! I ate way too much. Will probably need to go on a diet when I get back to DK but right now, I don't want to think about it. I'm on vacation and really just want to eat everything while I have the chance!

Yesterday (Wednesday), I finally got to see Glenda, Nathan, Aidan and Lance. WOOT WOOT! Glenda picked me up and we went back to her place. Aidan is freaking ADORABLE! I don't really feel comfortable around small kids but he is just too damn cute. How can one not love him!? Glenda's mom watched Aidan so we could have some time alone and just catch up on each other's lives.... Lunch at Romeo's - ended up speaking Danish because the waitress was from CPH... it's a small world. We did some shopping and then went back to her place to wait for Lance and Nathan. Dinner plans changed and we all ended up eating dinner there, and just hung out. Talked, talked and talked some more. It was so nice seeing them again and in some ways, it feels like I've never left. I couldn't ask for better, more loyal friends than them. Makes me all teary thinking about leaving them again.

Today will be a quiet day. Rachel is coming by for a late lunch/early dinner and I can't wait to see her again. Maybe Glenda will be dropping by with Aidan to play at the nearby playground. Again - beautiful weather! Tomorrow, the plan is to meet up with "the gang" at a pub/restaurant and just hang out over dinner and drinks. I only have 3 weeks and I want to enjoy every minute of it.

I feel as though I'm home.

0 Intelligent comments: