October 22, 2009

Posted by Rie On 2:02 AM
I'm trying to make the most of my last few days here at home.... My other home... It really sucks sometimes having two homes. I just LOVE the island and even after 12 years, it still feels like home. BUT... I love DK too. See the problem? And why do they have to be so freaking far away from each other?

Ok, enough of that. It's depressing me.

I'm enjoying a quiet afternoon, waiting for mom and dad to get home. The dogs are snoring and Alex is demanding extra attention. (We had a long cuddle on the couch so he's not being neglected at all.) This trip has been amazing. It has been so nice seeing my parents and my friends - just hanging out and getting to know them again. And going to Calgary to visit my brother and meeting his wife was a huge bonus.

What have I/we been doing? Nothing. Everything. All sorts of things. We had some quiet nights here at home, just reading books, talking, drinking coffee, walks with the dogs (and sometimes cat) and mainly just enjoying each other's company. Mom is busy with knitting projects and I definitely do feel inspired to start my own projects. I have bought so many books and that is one thing that is keeping me sane about leaving them again. When I get home - DK home - I have so much stuff to do. Things to make and I feel so motivated and inspired to get back on the creative track. Anyways, we had Thanksgiving with Alli and it was wonderful food. Wow, I have certainly missed my dad's cooking!

I was in Calgary visiting my brother and finally got to meet his wife, Kim. He had to work the first afternoon/evening I was in town, so Kim and I did a girly trip into town and poked around. We ate pizza for dinner and then went back to their place to chat and watch tv. On Saturday, the three of us drove over to Banff and spent the day up in the mountains and walking around Banff, poking around in different stores and taking loads of pictures. We went for breakfast/brunch on Sunday and then did some shopping - more bookstores ;) and watched movies in the evening. The weather was pretty decent - definitely colder than Victoria but nothing all too crazy. Very mild and the snow melted again by the time I flew back to the island on Monday. It was great seeing them and finally seeing what their lives are like in Calgary.

I've also been hanging out with Glenda - she's still on mat leave - and I got to meet her little boy, Aidan. Lots of shopping, lots of food (perhaps too much food!) and lots of good times. We have talked about nothing and everything and I love the fact that I've been able to hang out with her so much. I've hung out with Nathan - ate pumpkin pie and drank coffee. Dinner with Glenda, Nathan and Lance where we had some drinks and just talked for many hours. Hung out with Rachel - again, more coffee and more food and definitely more talking. I met up with Glenda, Leah and Christine for after-dinner drinks and just relaxing. Finally got to see Dee last night where her, Glenda and I had a girl's night out - dinner and a movie. It's just so great seeing everyone again and I wish I had more time to spend with all of them. I may have been gone for 12 years, but I really do have some great friends out here. My trips out here seem to always be too short.

Now it's Wednesday and I'm flying back to DK on Saturday. Mixed feelings. I will be happy to sleep in my own bed and be home in my own little apartment. I miss my friends over there and I miss my job... yes, I actually miss my work. But I hate leaving everyone here. I'm going to cry - I just hate goodbyes, even though I know I'll be back and I will be seeing everyone again. And having the internet with skype, msn and facebook definitely helps.

I will post pictures here on my blog later on tonight. Mom just came home from work and we are taking the dogs out for a walk.

0 Intelligent comments: