December 30, 2011

Posted by Rie On 3:28 PM
Christmas Eve 2011.

Nice and quiet. I've had a crazy year - good and bad things filled my life in 2011 and to tell you the truth, I was pretty exhausted come December. Everyone was talking about Christmas, about the excitement and happiness and to be perfectly honest, I just wasn't feeling it. Not because I was thinking "Bah, humbug!" but I was just very Meh about the Christmas season. I was getting stressed out about something that it supposed to bring happiness and closeness with family and friends. I love my family and I love my friends but I needed some peace.

And that was my present to myself this year. Peace and quiet and able to enjoy a quiet Christmas with no stress. Yes, I dropped it completely. I had made several plans to spend Christmas Eve with different people but when those fell apart, I decided to see it as an opportunity to spend it with my parents - via computer. A little different but a good night nonetheless. I spent Christmas Eve's day (Us Danes celebrate Christmas on the 24th in the evening) doing nothing. Relaxing! Coffee. Music. Reading. Then I took a shower and made myself somewhat presentable and sat myself in front of the computer and had a good chat with my parents, my aunt and my uncle. We looked through several piles of old pictures, had some good laughs and even shed a couple of tears. This is my first Christmas without my Mormor - even though I haven't spent the holidays with them in years and years, it still felt.... empty. Just knowing that she isn't here anymore. Knowing that I wasn't going to get a Christmas card from her with pictures. Or a phonecall, hearing her wish me a merry Christmas. Or talking about how much food we ate. We all felt it and we all miss her.

After chatting on skype for a few hours, I went by the Pub to say hi to my friends. Nothing wild and crazy but coffee and hugs and smiles. I only stayed there for about an hour or so because then I went back home to again chat with my parents over dinner. Dad's cooking looked so yummy and I found myself starving at 2am. A quick bite to eat and then in bed by 3am.

So.... a quiet Christmas outside of traditions. I actually do love Christmas but this year was meant to be a quiet night and I seriously enjoyed it. No pity, no regrets and just a sense of peace. I was happy that I decided to do it this way.

Christmas Day 2011

Definitely the opposite of peace and quiet. A group of friends and I got together here at my place and had a party. We ate good food - non-Christmas related - had lots of drinks, lots of fun and lots of laughs. It was one of those nights that your stomach hurts from laughing too much. Or your makeup is smeared because of the tears - from laughter. We played games and it was a super night. As much as I love a good quiet alone night, I love a good party with good friends. We of course went to the pub and partied it up until 5am and had a good time. I promise you, I was pretty tired when I got home. Tired but happy.

Days between Christmas and NYE 2011

Quiet. Pub. Lots of food. Friends. Movies. Laundry. That pretty much sums it up for me. A good friend, R. is staying here for the next couple of days and we've been enjoying each others company. He's the type of friend where I can just be myself. We can talk about anything and everything but we can also sit together in silence. So I've been hanging out with him the last couple of days. I also went to the movies with LM yesterday - we had a "date" day and that was super cool. He's a friend from the Pub and I like to think that we've become close friends over the years we've worked there. We ate pizza and then went to the movies - the new Sherlock Holmes film. It was pretty good. I had a good time with him.

New Years Eve 2011

Not quiet sure what tomorrow will bring. Well, I actually have a pretty good idea.... I have more laundry to do at 1pm (reserved the machines so I can also use the dryer) and then I just relax until I go to the Pub. I'm working tomorrow night and we're all meeting up for dinner and drinks before we are open to the public. This is my 3rd year working NYE and I wouldn't have it any other way. I love the fact that I'm a part of the festivities but still.... not. I go out every weekend so NYE is just another night for me. And because everyone tends to make it into a huge deal, I always find that it's just a huge disappointment. So I'm just going to go with the flow and see what happens.

The new year 2012

What to expect? I don't know. I do know that I will be seeing my dad in the spring - he's coming to DK and I'm crazy excited. Words can't even express how excited I am. I get knots in my stomach whenever I think about it. And I know that our family here in DK have it somewhat the same way I do - especially his sister K.  Other than that, I don't know what to expect for 2012. Travel in the summer? Lose weight. Get my ass together and start working off the stupid Pub weight that I have gained since I started over 2 years ago. DHB festival in Vandel during the first weekend of June. Maybe even Jelling festival during the last weekend in May. Camping trip with the kids from work at the end of June. Friends, family and fun!

I guess we'll just see what happens.

0 Intelligent comments: